Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tri Color Gum Bichromate Prints

Societal control results in stifled creativity within an individual. Self expression and original ideas are restrained due to everything we’ve been taught throughout life. Unknowingly, we control ourselves, and each other. It is the desire to be accepted that leads us to conform. The fear of being judged represses the imagination. In addition, expectations and cultural traditions also asphyxiate the ability to be creatively expressive. The body of work I am presenting initiates a dialog confronting this issue. My art instigates the discussion with carefully chosen words and ambiguous imagery that initiate feelings of concern. My mission is to affect the viewer, making them aware of the freedom that has been taken from them. The hope is that they will strive to regain their creative freedom once again. While I playfully compose these images, I am tapping into my own creative subconscious and defying the status quo. Because I am utilizing concentrated levels of creativity during my process, I create images that also raise great curiosity in my viewer. The making and viewing of my images combat the social sacrifice we blindly make. The goal of my art is to awaken the human ability to question arbitrary social structures. Hopefully, these prints will alert individuals to become acquainted with their sense of “Being” so they may function as creative souls.




















2 comments: